[lbo-talk] Mechanical Marxism: A useful concept?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 16 06:30:40 PST 2006

The phrase "vulgar marxism" clearly isn't very useful. When Justin uses it, I'm reasonably sure that I know what he means, and that he will know what I mean. But there's no way to remove the sneer from "vulgar," and phrases using tend to be nothing more than sneers at the target. "Mechanical marxism" is probably more useful, and can be described in more or less intellgible terms. It consists in the reduction of social relations to the 'things' related, denying the reality of the relations. The clearest example of mechanical marxism is any empirical definition of class as opposed to class as a relation and a process.

The text of Chomsky Tayssir cited is among other things merely vulgar in the popular sense. It doesn't say anything but repeats without specifying that his critics haven't said anything. It's simply not very interesting. Perhaps Chomsky should mull over the passage in the Grundrisse (hardly a "pomo" text) to the effect that relations, unlike the things related, must be thought! In other words, fundamental reality, i.e. relations, cannot be observed but merely (merely!) theorized.

Carrol

Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:

> Well, I already offered some evidence which suggests Chomsky
> consciously disagrees with vulgar marxism.

I find your use of "vulgar marxism" utterly unintelligible so I can't do anything with this.

Carrol