[lbo-talk] The raids against immigrant workers

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Dec 16 09:53:55 PST 2006

On Dec 16, 2006, at 12:29 PM, Julio Huato wrote:

> boddi satva wrote:
>
>> Lefties have to stop getting so hysterical about deportations.
>
> How cool would you be if, out of necessity, you had to move to another
> country, the bigots in that country called you a scab, and the
> government of that country jailed you and kicked you out?
>
> I mean, you wouldn't be doing anything criminal -- unless the
> legislators in that country make the basic conditions for survival
> subject to punishment. There must be a clear difference between fair
> and legal. No?
>
> I'd say that kicking boddi satva out of that hypothetical country
> might be "legal," but it ain't fair.

I missed Boddi's comment the first time around, but man that's an ugly quote. Deportations are awful. The US sits on top of a global hierarchy that we enforce by bombing countries that don't play along - and when some of the worse-off victims of that arrangement come to the US they're greeted by the INS? And when "lefties" complain about that, we're "hysterical"? That pisses me off.

Doug