[lbo-talk] Yale New Haven Hospital breaks labor law

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Dec 16 12:37:43 PST 2006

On Dec 15, 2006, at 10:57 AM, Mark Rickling wrote:

> New Haven Independent.org
> Union Election Off; Arbitrator Says Hospital Broke Law
> Paul Bass
>
> An arbitrator agreed with postponing next week's long-awaited union
> election among Yale-New Haven Hospital's 1,800 blue-collar workers
> because the hospital engaged in "serious violations of federal law" by
> pressuring workers to vote no. Mayor John DeStefano, steamed, called
> for a campaign to remove some of Yale-New Haven's special tax breaks.

I'm not surprised to hear this. Yale is a viciously anti-union institution, and has been for a long time, even by the standards of the US bourgeoisie. And Yale-New Haven Hospital is notoriously piggish: the WSJ had a story some years ago about how they went after a low-wage Yale dining hall employee who couldn't pay her hospital bills in the most merciless fashion. They tried to seize her house, when many hospitals would have written it off.

Doug