[lbo-talk] Re: lbo-talk Digest, Vol 36, Issue 174

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 17:12:59 PST 2006

Here here. All opinion polls of what workers are most trusted rank the same two jobs at the top of the list: firefighters and nurses. All my experience in a healthcare workers union is that those polls reflect reality: people really do trust nurses, because nurses really do have generally high ethical standards that probably spring in part from the psychological makeup of a working-class person who decides they're going to take a very demanding high-skill job in healing people. The many awful and broken aspects of our healthcare system aren't the fault of the nurses or other workers in it. I will take a look at that study, but any gobbledygook about althusser and anxiety in institutions etc etc misses the obvious reality that nurses are seen as, and are, beloved and trustworthy high-skill workers. A great, great deal of our big-picture strategy on rebuilding the labor movement involves putting nurses front and center on a lot of our battles, bc the public is less likely to turn against nurses than "lazy overpaid public-sector workers" or whatever. Sciensism and anti-humanism in althusser? What on earth do these words mean? This is why I always fly off the handle and say things like leftists need to get out of the academy and rejoin planet earth.