[lbo-talk] FT: Anatol Lieven on Iraq

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Dec 16 22:48:25 PST 2006

Michael Pollak wrote:

> December 13 2006
> Financial Times
>
> The way to Iraq is through Iran
> By Anatol Lieven
>
> Last week in Washington, George W. Bush, US president, and Tony Blair,
> UK prime minister, engaged in their familiar bluster about "isolating"
> Iran and Syria if they do not accede to US wishes in the Middle East.
> This line today is utterly senseless. Iran is in a stronger position
> than the US -- and Iran knows it.

Why wouldn't the U.S. want a regional war in the Middle Eas?. Apres nous, le deluge?.....which could serve as a bottomless sink for arms/supplies, keep oil prices up, and further justify the arming of Israel and the oppression of the Palestinians.

I mean, if the U.S. can't control the situation, isn't the second best scenario (from the point of view of the U.S. ruling class) no one being able to control it?

Joanna