[lbo-talk] Foucault

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 18 06:09:17 PST 2006

Dear List,

Hey, I'm interested in reading any original work anyone on the list has done w/ regards to Foucault and his applicability to current politics & theory. (URLs, etc.)

I've been fascinated w/ Foucault myself for awhile, as I've mentioned time and again here.

Having read mostly in & coming from the anarchist tradition, a tradition I came to eventually see as primarily concerned with social distribution of power, I turned to Foucault early on as a "theorist of power." Since then I've come across mixed interpretations of Foucault's works, including folks sympathetic to him -- but also disparaged by what one anthropologist called the "Fou-CULT" of folks in social sciences who probably OVER-employ his analysis, an analysis that changed decade to decade in any event.

Neo-Weberian, post-structuralist, left-Nietzschean, crypto-Marxist, crypto-nihilist, seen him called many things. One helpful list did heavily recommend Giorgio Agamben, whose works I've found helpful as a kind of ongoing, running Foucauldian commentary on current political events.

-B.