[lbo-talk] twaddle

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 18 12:41:19 PST 2006

Doug wrote:

> Who says theoryheads have the edge when it comes to
> bad prose?

So, what do we all think of the recent trend over the last few years of breathless expropriation of the language of complexity and emergence popping up all over the business press? I think Kevin Kelly got the ball rolling with that _Out of Control_ a decade ago, but things really seem to pick up steam with Malcolm Gladwell's _The Tipping Point_ and then Howard Rheingold's _Smart Mobs_.

Some basic sense of fairness in me resents the fact that Levitt and Gross get to beat up on the "academic left", but business twerps get a free pass for engaging in all kinds of bad pseudo-scientific poetry.

And Steven Johnson's attempts to reclaim all that gobbledygook for the left by quoting Naomi Klein is no consolation.