[lbo-talk] The Second Looting of New Orleans

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 18 12:54:42 PST 2006

Well, in this country social assistance has been in recent years and decades handled by private charities or by government funded non profits. This is not somethng that can be blamed, exclusively, or even primarily, on the current US administration as the practice goes back decades, at least to the 1980s and even earlier.

His view of the politics of non-profit organizations and the shortcomings of the way they operate ring true to me. (I happen to be a lawyer and have sued some non profits over the years and have represented one) Certainly his observations of the failures of the Red Cross are consistent with what has been said of it in other contexts (e.g. 911). SR

-------------- Original message -------------- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu>

[WS:] My problem is that a self-styled “radical left” publication/author is espousing a quite conservative view that charity is a knee-jerk way to help the “less fortunate” and based on that premise insults charitable institutions (foundations) for failing on that job. His main concern seems to use his vitriol on a punching boy (no pun intended) and apparently has no clue on how foundations operate or how social assistance is actually funded in this country (and elsewhere) i.e. by government not by private charity. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20061218/9cf6494e/attachment.htm> -------------- next part -------------- An embedded message was scrubbed... From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu> Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] The Second Looting of New Orleans Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 20:39:27 +0000 Size: 605 URL: <../attachments/20061218/9cf6494e/attachment.eml>