It's [lbo-talk] Greek To Me (Was Re: slavery and technology)

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Dec 18 20:47:44 PST 2006

On Sun Dec 17, Doug Henwood wrote:

> (After four years of college I got a diploma in a language I could barely
> recall bits of from my Catholic school years. . . .)
>
> > Mine too. But that was 1975. My sister-in-law graduated from Harvard in
> > June, and her degree was in English. Maybe the uber-Ivies have gone
> > demotic, finally.

It seems like a general trend. It just struck me that I work in a law office where all the younger lawyers put their diplomas on the wall. I took a quick sample and everyone who graduated in the 1990s or 2000s had their BA in English. It was true in all regions and at all status levels of college. The sole exception was Georgetown -- those Catholics again :o)

Michael