[lbo-talk] The raids against immigrant workers

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 09:05:02 PST 2006

On 12/19/06, boddi satva <lbo.boddi at gmail.com> wrote:
> These ICE raids on the meatpacking industry come only after decades of
> racketeering throughout the food industry where packers, producers and
> distributors blatantly and deliberately import illegal labor to force
> down wages.

You got the chronology wrong. The meatpacking industry first busted unions and forced down wages through bankruptcies, concession bargaining (eventually accepted by UFCW), and ruralization of jobs. Then, meatpacking jobs became jobs for which only desperate undocumented workers would apply.

After Wilson Foods, one of the big five in meatpacking, filed for bankruptcy in 1983, Hormel joined other companies in the industry to take a strong stand against workers throughout the chain.

"Wilson's Chapter 11 was the straw that broke the camel's back," a UFCW official said. "We had to make a decision to allow the industry to go non-union at $5 and $6 an hour rates with re-opened plants, or to retrench within the industry and hold the concessions between $8 and $9 an hour, maintaining the vehicle [the union] that would bring wages and benefits back up."

"We made the decision, rightfully or wrongfully, to retrench," the official explained. ("Concessions and Convictions: Striking Meatpackers Face-Off Against the UFCD and Hormel," Multinational Monitor 7.5, 15 March 1986, <http://multinationalmonitor.org/hyper/issues/1986/0315/concessions.html>)</blockquote>

The struggle of Local P-9 that Peter Rachleff chronicled in Hard-Pressed in the Heartland: The Hormel Strike and the Future of the Labor Movement (1993, <http://www.southendpress.org/2004/items/HardPressed>) and Barbara Kopple captured in American Dream (1990) was probably the old union rank and file's last stand. And they lost, for most of the rest of the American working class failed to stand in solidarity with them, and here's the result.

Now, the new union rank and file _are_ immigrant workers, with or without papers, and they are the ones with whom we must stand in solidarity. Unions understand that, too.

On 12/16/06, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, is there much immigration INTO Mexico?

In contrast, the number of "aseguramientos" (potentially deportable foreigners) increased significantly from 1999, when it amounted to 131,500 "events" -- not necessarily different persons -- to 2000, when it reached 168,800; but in 2001, it declined to 151,400. On average, around 90 percent of these events ended up in actual deportations.

These apprehensions provide an indirect indication of the nationalities that use Mexico as a land of transit. In 2001, of a total of 151,400 apprehensions, 44.9 percent were from Guatemala, 26.6 per cent from Honduras, and 23.2 per cent from El Salvador. The tiny remainder was divided among countries like the US, Ecuador, and Nicaragua.

At very specific historical junctures, Mexico had very generous responses to refugees and asylum seekers, most notably in the 1930s for exiles during the Spain Civil War, and in the 1980s and 1990s for people fleeing oppressive political systems in several South and Central American countries. In 2000, Mexico ratified the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol. Two years later, in March 2002, the Mexican government began adjudicating asylum claims on its own, thus replacing the eligibility determinations of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in place since 1982. The majority of refugees use Mexico as a route to reach other countries, especially the US and Canada.

In 2001, Mexico received about 500 asylum applications and granted refugee status to roughly a third of the applicants. Approximately half of these refugees came from Latin American countries (Colombia, Guatemala, El Salvador, Cuba, Honduras); the other half came from all over the world. Around two-thirds of all applications are filed from detention centers within Mexico. (Francisco Alba, "Mexico: A Crucial Crossroads," first published in July 2002, updated in March 2004, <http://www.migrationinformation.org/Feature/display.cfm?id=211>)</blockquote>

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>