[lbo-talk] P-9 and meatpacking deunionization (was: The raids against immigrant workers)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Dec 19 13:30:15 PST 2006

On Dec 19, 2006, at 3:20 PM, Steven L. Robinson wrote:

> No denying that Ford and GM are in dire shape (Query whether or in
> what form Ford will survive as a company or a brand), nonetheless
> who can blame the autoworkers for fighting to save whatever they
> can of their standard of living, their healthcare and retirement?
> Or, should they just surrender and give it all back.

Who can blame them indeed? I also wouldn't mind being 30 years old again either - who can blame me for that?

This response embodies exactly what I'm talking about: militant demands will not make it so. The labor movement and its sympathetic intellectuals should at least have some semblance of a strategy for how to deal with the industry's economic crisis, but I've never heard one.

Doug