[lbo-talk] Christian Parenti responds

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Dec 19 14:54:20 PST 2006

[Christian writes...]

Doug,

Tell your list that:

the wise Mage (as usual) is right. I over stated that. Iraq would need start up $ but would then be self financing. I plead guilty to cranking out that piece in one sitting.

But as for "production sharing agreements" which is the form that "privatization" of oil usually takes -- the real assets below ground are almost never sold off -- were already in the works under Saddam.

I don't think there is any huge hurdle to involvement via PSAs by the majors, the independents, the chinese, et al.

the question is not really privatization vs state ownership it is the cut, or split on future PSAs... will it be fair or totally unfair?

As it stands now the Iraqi oil industry, which I have been looking into, is in near collapse and if the country goes to hell so goes the industry.

My main point (or attempted) point was this: a rational section of the ruling class is now worried about something much more than Iraq's oil. It sees the real possibility of region-wide chaos: social breakdown spreading on a previously unseen scale. they have at the helm a man who seems to work only for himself and not for his class.

CP