[lbo-talk] Re:P-9 and meatpacking deunionization (was: The

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 20:04:35 PST 2006

I know that a few illegals have cards and of course I think SEIU is doing them a fantastic service. All illegal workers should organize. All workers should organize. But as a practical matter, what does it mean to organize people who are, literally, outlaws? You know the legal headaches.

People are so touchy on this thing that you can't talk frankly about it. It's ridiculous. I want full citizenship rights for every worker. In the short run, there are workers who must be given refuge whether they are citizens or not. That's just common decency. In the long run, a decision has to be made and immigration laws have to be enforced. I would love to see millions and millions more LEGAL American citizens, but the present situation is intolerable. And once we do take in more people, we are going to have to enforce the immigration laws and unfortunately that is going to mean deportations. I think it should also mean sanctions against governments that create these terrible economic blights on huge populations.

It's all about raising the standard of citizenship rights, not making some Faustian bargain with Swift Meats. The shareholders of Swift would just as soon see these people ground up into sausage.