[lbo-talk] Paradox

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Dec 19 21:17:36 PST 2006

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Yes, with Iraq we run into the problem that any
> arrangements that seem even desirable are outside the
> realm of possibility, so not really worth advocating.

On past, present, & future issues concerning exertion of u.s. military, economic, and diplomatic power abroad it seems worthwhile to maintain an automatic opposition. Discussion of agitational content etc may resemble discussion of "oughts" but is different. The context is always building the movement of opposition, which means devising slogans that one can organize around. It's on those slogans that I find nuanced discussion of "oughts" intolerable. If and when the U.S. attacks Iran or sends advisors to X we should not have to argue endlessly, or even briefly, among ourselves as to our absolute opposition.

Carrol