[lbo-talk] Paradox

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 20 09:05:04 PST 2006

>From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu>
>
>Michael:
>
>So now, just as a devil's advocate, let me advance the following question:
>do we really want troops out? ...
>
>... Since the cost of staying the path is relatively low, both
>economically and politically - as Iraq is really a low priority for most
>people here- while the cost of changing the course is relatively high,
>since
>it can be construed as an insult to US national pride and a threat to
>security which are relatively high priorities for most people - the chance
>are that the US troops will stay in Iraq for the next two to three years if
>not more. ...

I think Iraq could prove the most costly, in the sense of debilitating, US war of all time. It has exposed the US "hyperpower" image as a sham, revealing the US military is neither omnipotent nor even competent. That image will be more deeply branded into the consciousness of the world and US public every extra day the US is in Iraq. In turn, that will:

* Take a horrific continuing toll of US economic competitiveness: The strength of the US dollar has to some degree reflected international respect for the US as a world cop. Obviously that respect has now turned to contempt, and the US is accurately perceived as a hopelessly inept hegemon with a hollowed-out economy and enormous growing global indebtedness. That will certainly lead other nations to impose more onerous trade terms, leading to more US inflation, a weaker dollar, increasing class stratification and a poorer quality of living overall.

* Produce an embittered US military establishment bent on revenge: Even more than Vietnam, Iraq has made the US military a global laughingstock. The military establishment will be bent, even more than it was in Vietnam, on getting revenge – whether that means showing US civilians who's boss or *really* beating the shit out of some small country by using high-tech weaponry that doesn’t put US lives at risk.

* Intensify US cultural decadence: Bipartisan inability to come to terms with the Iraq disaster and impose any kind of accountability has resulted in a US populace that is, palpably, in a state of deepening cynicism, bitterness and rage. Since US society doesn't countenance direct expression of negative vibes like those, this sullen fury turns up in odd places – accounting in large part, IMO, for the growing crudity and cruel sensibility of US movies, advertising, etc.

The continuing US military presence in Iraq is the illest of winds and blows no good at all.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Get free, personalized online radio with MSN Radio powered by Pandora http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001