It's Greek To Me (Was Re: [lbo-talk] slavery and technology)

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Dec 20 02:06:11 PST 2006

At around 19/12/06 2:55 am, andie nachgeborenen wrote:
> I can't bear that cockiness and cuteness and coyness.
> Quine sort of started it, but he wasn't as bad as the
> others, Dennett's the worst, he's just unreadable.
> Fodor has gotten worse over the years. He's at Rutgers
> now, isn't he? Or did move to NYU?

Last I wrote to him (2 years ago) he was still at Rutgers (RUCCS). I am not sure how much worse he has become considering Psychosemantics (from a few years ago) was about as much hard work as this one is! I have not read his Massive Modularity book.

Quine has such interesting and timely (for his time, but perhaps now too) things to say that his style is unfortunate, especially given that he follows in the tradition of the mathematician turned philosopher Bertrand Russell. In that tradition, Putnam (with and w/o Benacerraf) seems more readable and less annoying, though I am not sure I agree with him (FWIW).

--ravi