[lbo-talk] Paradox

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Dec 20 12:46:34 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2006, at 3:26 PM, andie nachgeborenen wrote:
>
> > Needless to say it would be better for the world
> > to have the Eurocops do it
>
> Not for long. Throw them into the role of global enforcers and
> they'll start behaving like Uncle Sam in an instant. There's
> certainly nothing in the history of Europe to make you believe
> otherwise.

I was going to say that.

But they have already been as bad as the u.s. when called upon. Let's not forget the British in Malaya and France in Algeria and Belgium in the Congo and Germany in Poland. Capitalists are capitalists, and capitalist states are capitalist states when put to it. And imperial states are criminal states.

Actually, anarchy within states not subject to foreign "assistance" works itself out, more or less tyranically, more or less democratically, but stable. It is the robocop who causes the chaos of the sort that only leads to more chaos. That was my formula for Iraq: a more or less controlled civil war* leading to some sort of stability.

&On the analogy of england in the 17th c., the u.s. in the 19th, & the Soviet Union in its early days. Civil wars free from foreign influence usually turn out fairly decently, whichever side wins.

Carrol