[lbo-talk] P-9 and meatpacking deunionization (was: The raids against immigrant workers)

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 15:36:36 PST 2006

Yoshie, the case you're trying to build is a bogus case. You are trying to contend that teh status quo for illegal aliens is something we can build on. It's not.

Here's why: for immigrants crimes are not just crimes. There are the criminal sanctions and procedures, but then there are the immigration consequences. For example, misdemeanor possession of marijuana in Oregon is something for which you get the equivalent of a speeding ticket. For immigration purposes, it's a felony.

The Brownback legislation you refer to with this notion about a "victory" was NEVER going to pass - never. If it had, local police would have been able to go into a plant or a field or a construction site and say "Hey you, Pedro, you are breaking immigration law. Come with us." All of a sudden there could have been widespread enforcement of immigration laws at workplaces across the country and that was NOT going to happen - not while Bush was in the White House.

The only desirable features of the Brownback approach, from American captital's standpoint, was that it would have essentially criminalized the practice of immigration law.

And speaking of the law, how exactly do you propose that illegal workers hire lawyers to get their back pay? With what money? How will they even know what to do?

The Left wants to preserve this fuzzy, silly notion about the "undocumented". Too many of us on the left lie to ourselves that the situation of having a legal underclass is acceptable, because we don't want to deal with the sadness and difficulty of the situation.

I've worked with and known far too many illegals to think that way. When illegals allow themselves to pretend that they are just like citizens, they set themselves up for heartbreak. You have to deal rationally with the system that is.

boddi