[lbo-talk] Re: lbo-talk Digest, Vol 36, Issue 228

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 10:16:59 PST 2006

> I'm still amazed at how the immigration issue manages to bring out the
> ugly, racist hypocritical side of some progressives and liberals. I've
> heard some shocking anti-immigrant stuff come out of liberal mouths who
> normally sound quite rational.
>
> I'm also shocked that a regular list member is spouting off
> anti-immigrant bullshit while the rest of the list sits on its
> collective hands.

Whoa whoa. I happen to disagree with what boddi is saying, but the more he articulates his position, the less it seems born of racism. What he seems to me to be saying is that capital likes how undocumented immigration happens now, in fact they manage a lot of the process, with the aim of creating a permanent underclass with few rights that will bring wages way down in certain industries. I agree with him up to that point. But then he starts panting and calling undocumented people illegals (which us leftos should probably not do on principle as long as there is more accurate and less demeaning terminology, like undocumented), he vastly underestimates the strength of the hysterical right that wants mass deportations, he fails to acknowledge or see any racist dimenstion to what's happening, and he seems to hint at qualified support from him for some deportations eventually to un-suppress the labor market in certain industries, if it went along with a reform of the process that let a lot more people come and work with all rights intact. I happen to disagree with him on all of that, altho on the last part it's hard to not see that as one of the least-bad realistic outcomes to whatever will come of america's hysteria over the immigrants who tend to their ostentatious lifestyles.

Boddi's wrong, but not being overtly racist. I thought so at first, but think he's actually just wrong, and not about everything he's saying. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20061221/43498b6d/attachment.htm>