[lbo-talk] How to Deconstruct Almost Anything

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 16:47:42 PST 2006

On 12/21/06, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> Incidentally, for those who scoff at theory at such: Where does the
> Meaning of a text reside? What is a "Meaning"?
>
> Carrol

Actually, Carrol this question if taken deadly seriously, shows my anti-theoretical point of view.

It is precisely the insoluble and paradoxical notions of "meaning", and the fact that the word can only be used non-theoretically, that leads me to many of the conclusions I have come to. But this is a long story, and it goes back to my only masters thesis and my work on Aristotle's analysis of "motion" and "movement." The problems Aristotle posed were never solved, we just redefined "motion" in such a way that the paradoxes disappear, and now these terms have a more or less Fregean precise definition, that nowhere addresses the original problematic. If we ever have a "theory of meaning", I doubt that it will answer any of the questions on meaning that other so-called "theories" of meaning tried to answer, but never did.

Jerry