[lbo-talk] How to deconstruct almost anything

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Dec 22 09:51:24 PST 2006

> > That thread lasted a few days. The pomo-all-is-text-deconstruction
> > bashing thread has been going on for over ten years.

There can never be enough pomo bashing in my opinion. And in the end, whose fault was it that Derrida is misunderstood, but Derrida's? Let's face it, people did used to be pomos, but now they are environmentalists, in the seventies they were all marxists, just as they were all positivists in the sixties. These intellectual fashions come and go. No doubt in 2020 people will be telling me that some kind of 'New Islam' is really the cutting edge of critical enquiry

As for the exterminating Angel's attempts to turn Marxism into a sacred cult for true initiates only, all I can say is that those who did read him well, like Rosdolsky, Mattick, Grossmann, Yaffe, Altvater etc., (but not Holloway, Postone, Dumenil and Levy, etc,) did precious little with their greater understanding.