[lbo-talk] Hillis Miller on de Man, Marx, & the Internet

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 22 10:52:29 PST 2006

Bitch:

OK. Holiday-time Game. Let's talk about this statement:

"since the dawn of the patriarchal co-option of human sexuality, has ever actually enjoyed this submissive sexbot drudgery (blowjobs). There's a reason that deep-throating a funk-filled bratwurst makes a person retch. Reason: It's fucking gross."

Are you yay or nay that statement. why or why not? is a blowjob inherently "fucking gross"? is this evidenced by the fact that, doing so, someone will retch?

[and later...]

...is a blow job inherently oppressive, yes or no?

I've reviewed the historical record and by "historical record" I mean my own opinions and, without fear of wind or vertigo declare blow jobs to NOT be inherently oppressive.

My methods are scientific, even scienTISMIC. My conclusions, beyond challenge. A remembrance comes to the surface...

Once upon a time, long before cats hosted chat shows and cans of soda instantly nano-assembled themselves out of discarded boxes of edible underwear, I was at a dinner party in which this very topic came up.

Our hard working hostess, who, as it happened, was an old friend and a lesbian (though not, as the saying goes, in that order), excitedly introduced one and all to her new girlfriend, a bookish and intense woman I'll call Antigone.

At first, there was merriment and clever banter and bottles of Duvel expertly poured into sexy-fat glasses. I pretended to be Tyco Brahe because I'd just seen a BBC documentary about the fellow and it seemed the proper thing to do, the stars being out and all.

Eventually, the conversation turned to matters sexual.

Antigone, who'd had a few Duvels too many and was feeling the sort of fluidness only the Belgians can bestow, insisted she couldn't understand why any straight woman would subject herself to the ignominy (and, she insisted, general funkadelickaness) of the male crotch.

The word "gross" was, as I recall, liberally used.

What do you do when someone loudly announces that one of the things you enjoy - and indeed, a part of your very body - is bad, bad and, after careful consideration, still bad?

You take a sip of your drink, slowly cross your legs and say "Yes, I agree. It is gross. But then again, so's that Sargasso sea you're sporting between your legs. In fact, the entire lot of us are filthy talking monkeys who climbed down out of the trees and quickly got about the business of mucking things up. In short, we both suck - hard. See you in hell."

Sauce for the gander.

Antigone and I became good friends after that. Pity about the breakup.

.d.