[lbo-talk] Philosophy and Politics (was How to Deconstruct Almost Anything)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 12:34:22 PST 2006

On 12/22/06, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Heidegger did not speak English.

The thing is that, in America, professors and graduate students who love Heidegger by and large vote Democrat. :-> Really, a taste for a particular school of philosophy has as little to do with politics as a taste for a particular flavor of ice cream in America.

On 12/22/06, James Heartfield <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Let's face it,
> people did used to be pomos, but now they are environmentalists, in the
> seventies they were all marxists, just as they were all positivists in the
> sixties. These intellectual fashions come and go. No doubt in 2020
> people will be telling me that some kind of 'New Islam' is really
> the cutting edge of critical enquiry

Ha, ha, ha. Islam, or any other religion, is hardly interesting if it is taken as a school of thought. Religion is only really interesting when it is an organized religion, just as Marxist thought is only really interesting when it is an integral part of an organized social movement. Why are Islamists more interesting than Marxists in the Middle East? Not because the former think better than the latter -- though they can, depending on subjects -- but because some of them get a third of their country out into the streets and know how to handle Kalashnikovs. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>