[lbo-talk] Philosophy and Politics (was How to Deconstruct Almost Anything)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 13:14:37 PST 2006

> On Dec 22, 2006, at 3:34 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> > Why are Islamists more interesting than Marxists in the
> > Middle East? Not because the former think better than the latter --
> > though they can, depending on subjects -- but because some of them get
> > a third of their country out into the streets and know how to handle
> > Kalashnikovs.
>
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/22/world/africa/22somalia.html?
> _r=1&oref=slogin>
>
> [...]
>
> The Islamist fighters — many of them lightly armed teenage boys, the
> officials said — were mowed down by transitional government soldiers
> backed by the Ethiopian Army, the most powerful military in the region.

Young Islamists vs. the Ethiopian Army backed by Washington. The choice is easy for me.

The WSJ has a good interactive map online -- "Guarding the Chokepoints": <http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/info-wald0612.html>.

No wonder the empire is deeply interested in Somalia, which doesn't have much of anything, too. Location, location, location. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>