[lbo-talk] Re: Fidel

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 23 08:21:44 PST 2006

If the following Wikipedia article is right Brian overstates the repression(quite real) of gays in Cuba.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_rights_in_Cuba

On one hand the seems to be no report of massacres carried out by official forces after the Revolution. There does seem to be systematic prejudice and heavily-handed, cruel, and insensitive intervention into personal freedom that comes in waves -- labor lamps, forced confinement of AIDS patients, attempts at "conversion." No doubt there is a lot of gay bashing. I heard of some of the fairly innocuous kind at Paquito DeRivera concert, where he explained that he took up the horn because his father regarded his initial instrument, the piano, as faggy. (But the best jazz pianist in the world today is the Cuban Gonzalo Rubicano.) These reflect pretty traditional Latin prejudices but do not play so well in a supposedly liberatory society. Homosexuality is now legal, decriminalized, according to the article, and Cuban society is somewhat more welcoming.

I don't mean to excuse Cuban repression of gays, but Cuba is also repressive on other dimensions, notably towards political dissidents. In those cases there may be marginally more justification in terms of worries about US intervention that do not arise with gays.

All that Sid, and with no justification for Cuban civil rights violations, I think it would be an error to ignore how the Revolution has meant been a vast improvement in the lives of most ordinary Cubans, even even gays benefit by social policies like employment that is guaranteed as it can be on a poor island, subsidized houses and utilities, free universal education, free health care (for non AIDS related diseases or stupid attempts to "cure" their orientation) and the like. In addition, insofar as the issue is comparative, most other Latin and Caribbean countries have policies and attitudes that are no better towards gays without any of the corresponding benefits for poor and working people.

The upshot is that the Cuban Revolution deserves what Trotskyists called out "critical defense" -- defense for its accomplishments, criticism for its failings and abuses, including most of its policies towards GLBTs. Brian's flat out condemnation is insufficiently nuanced, even if Cuba has been a disappointment on this dimension.

jks

<http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/17/08a_gaycuba.html>)
> [...]
> para o Hospital
> Geral do Hospital (HGE). A reportagem, no entanto,
> não encontrou
> registros do caso no HGE.De acordo com vizinhos,
> Geraldo tinha irmãos
> e morava com a mãe, que ainda não havia sido avisada
> por sofrer de
> pressão alta. Uma coincidência infeliz é que o pai
> da vítima morreu há
> exatos sete anos, também no dia de Natal.
>
> HOMOFOBIA – Com o assassinato de Geraldo Silva
> Nascimento na manhã de
> ontem, o número de homicídios contra homossexuais na
> Bahia chega a 16
> apenas no ano de 2004, segundo informa Marcelo
> Cerqueira, presidente
> do Grupo Gay da Bahia (GGB).Segundo ele, de 1980 a
> 2004, são 280 casos
> de assassinatos motivados por preconceito por
> orientação sexual na
> Bahia. Os dados integram dossiê elaborado anualmente
> pelo grupo, que
> indica os diversos tipos de violência praticados
> contra homossexuais,
> desde agressão e insulto verbal, até violência
> relacionada ao
> extermínio, como parece ter sido o caso de Geraldo.
> "Se de um lado
> registramos conquistas, por outro constatamos que a
> onda de homofobia
> aumenta a cada dia", aponta Cerqueira, informando um
> dos objetivos do
> dossiê é pressionar as autoridades a criar leis que
> garantam os
> direitos dos gays e implementar projetos, como o que
> está em
> tramitação na Assembléia Legislativa, que propõe a
> criação de um
> disque-denúncia para vítimas de preconceito e
> violência por orientação
> sexual. "A homofobia é crime de ódio, e a nossa luta
> é para que as
> penas sejam cumpridas exemplarmente e, assim, evitar
> novos casos",
> diz. (Tatiane Freitas, Jornal A Tarde, 26 de
> dezembro, 2004.)
> reprodução da matéria.</blockquote>
>
> In many (all?) Latin and Central American countries,
> including ones
> that are governed by center-left governments, a
> phenomenon called
> "social cleansing," right-wing vigilantes murdering
> "undesirables,"
> has arisen during the neoliberal stage of
> capitalism. This problem is
> especially aggravated when the government is on the
> Right, as in the
> case of Colombia:

> heard reports of
> 'social cleansing' in the Human Rights Forum in
> Bogotá, where
> individual testimony identified that amongst others
> Lesbians, Gay men
> and Trans people are targeted for social cleansing.
> The notion of
> social cleansing was first used by the Colombian
> National Police in
> the late 1970s, the term "disposable" (desechable)

=== message truncated ===