[lbo-talk] Re: Fidel

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Dec 23 12:42:51 PST 2006

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 12:01:09 -0600 Chuck <chuck at mutualaid.org> writes:
> Leave it to Yoshie to soft-pedal all of the human rights abuses
> committed by the Castro government.
>
> I'm looking forward to the demise of Castro. My money is on him
> kicking
> the bucket on Monday, Christmas Day.

I concur with Justin's reponse to Chuck. Chuck's remarks concerning Cuba represent the sort of thing that gives anarchism a bad name among progressives. Does Chuck honestly believe that if Castro's regime were to be overthrown anytime within the forseeable future, that it will be succeeded by an anarchist utopia (and does Pug belive that it would be succeeded by some sort of European-style social democracy)? Much more likely, it would be succeeded by a US-backed rightist regime that would proceed to undo all of the progressive reforms instituted under Castro. In other words, goodbye free universal

health care, bye bye free public eduation from nursery school to graduate school, goodbye lowcost public housing, goodbye to Cuban government attempts to put an end to discrimination on the basis of race or gender. Welcome to the privatization of state owned industries (accompanied by mass layoffs to workers to make them more attractive to US investors). And in the end such a regime will probably not have a much better record on matters like civil liberties or gay rights than the current one. Fortunately, I don't think that people like Chuck or Pug will ever have the power to influence events in Cuba one way or the other.