[lbo-talk] "Critical Support" (Re: Fidel)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 23 15:29:20 PST 2006

This is arrant none sense, pernicious claptrap, and politically idiotic. One of the few places it matters what we sat about Cuba, etc., is in live antinterventionist movements. There the audience is not the Cubans, etc,. but potential participants here in the movements. Needless to say, if you refuse to say, Milosovic (Saddam, etc.) is a tyrant, BUT, you will paint yourself into the self-isolated ghetto with the rest of the irrelevant loonies and be unable to reach a wider audience. Now, I don't put Fidel in that group. But if I am to have more credibility in talking up Cuba's good points than Carrol, if I am going to be able to win the support of the ignorant and fence-sitters for anti-intervention, as Carrol cannot, I must be able ready and willing to speak the truth about Cuba. As should be obvious, I think that anti-intervention (by the US and its allies) is a near-absolute principle regardless of the character of the potential target, but _effective_ anti-intervention requires honesty about the character of the potential target.