[lbo-talk] "Critical Support" (Re: Fidel)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 23 19:02:34 PST 2006

We have different experience. Mine over many decades (I know you have more) is that to build coalitions and win support you have to establish common ground -- not just Out Now, but Should I Work With You?

And a detailed denunciation with a bill of particulars is not called for. All you need yo say, practicaly is that Saddam Hussian (or whoever) is brutal tyrant and I would be happy to see the Iraqi (or whichever) people themselves get rid of him, BUT it' s not our call. We should not be involved because . . . .

All the left wingers denounce me as a bourgeois liberal democrat anyway, _and they're right!_ so I don't wrangle with then. But I never saw anyone get anywhere with building an Out Now coalition without the "X is an evil bastard and I don't support him" preface.

Actually with the Sandinistas and Castro it is a little more complex because they are not evil bastards, just people who do some bad things sometimes and more good other times, so I get in troublde not with the left but with the Democrats for saying so.