[lbo-talk] How to Deconstruct Almost Anything

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Sat Dec 23 20:13:45 PST 2006

Actually, with me at least, I always thought that the problem with Zizek is that he was a sloppy writer, which is not something you can accuse Derrida of. As for Derrida, I think that his best moments are when he is exposing the metaphysical assumptions of western philosophy, but the farther he moves away from this, the less interesting is his writing (actually the Freud stuff is pretty good. To return briefly to Zizek, I find this quality in his writing a little intolerable. I think that one of the substantial reasons for so much illegible academic text is the drive to produce books for the tenure process, but Zizek produces this kind of crap despite the fact that he has the luxury of time that most do not.

robert wood