[lbo-talk] Christmas message from Desert Rock vigil, and an action alert

Aaron Shuman maruta_us at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 27 03:48:23 PST 2006

A Christmas message from the Resisters' Vigil at Desert Rock... The phone numbers to call to put pressure on Navajo Nation President Joe Shirley follow at the end.

http://www.desert-rock-blog.com Update: December 25, 2006. Doodá Desert Rock Vigil by jsefick on Mon 25 Dec 2006 04:10 PM PST

3PM

The winds are calm, even and pleasant. Open voices of song and prayer gently slices the cool air. The world rejoices in its own invention, Christmas.

We sit in peaceful meditation and unanimously discuss our battle ahead. Our overwhelming support reinforces our spirits.

A family of MOTHER EARTH.

To All,

Spending Christmas huddled around a campfire and protecting our land is not something that we, resisters, had originally planned. Most of us expected large family dinners, Christmas tunes, and gift exchanges. We are being watched by the police 24 hours/day and every time a vehicle comes by, they charge over and scare the elders and medicine people visiting the Resisters’ Vigil.

But feeling the cold wind against our faces at this Doodá Desert Rock Vigil is not something that we regret. It is a time for us to continue standing upfor what is right. We are reconnecting with our ancestors through prayer and we are learning, re-learning about our traditional, cultural, and spiritual roots.

This past Friday, Grandma Lucy butchered a sheep and the youth supporters learned the techniques of meat cutting and learned of the various dishes that mutton can make. Lucy walked around proudly because it was a time for all of us to build bridges between the young and the old. She taught the younger ones the importance of our fight. They now know what it means to be part of this land; not only as an individual but as a community protecting what is sacred and what is rightfully ours.

Money is not the center of Christmas here. Our gifts to each other here are the stories from the past and the cultural substance that exists amongst our elder folk. At the center of the elder’s stories is the knowledge of the Land. From this land is where our identity lies. In this land is where knowledge dwells and the spiritual deities live. Altogether, we are reminded of why we are here and where we come from.

The warriors of this vigil are the elders and, despite us telling them to go home and rest for a while, they will not leave. Their priority is to protect this area for all of its richness and its beauty. “For the grandchildren of the future,” is what Grandma Lucy says, “we protect this place.”

The patriarchal arm of the Navajo government is challenging, attempting to, and doing all that it can to eradicate the matriarchal roots of the Navajo culture. The grandmas are only doing what we all know is right: standing up. They are not afraid and because of them, we are not afraid.

The challenge for you is to help us in protecting our land and culture. Our Navajo Nation President has sold us out for pennies but we are not walking around with dollar signs stamped on our heads. No amount of coal and pollution can put a price on our livelihood.

Call, email, fax, write, and use whatever method to tell President Shirley that he needs to do what is culturally right by rejecting this project.

We are calling upon all native people, tribes and descendants to stand with us. We carry the blood of warriors and this is our call to action. Write to your senators, newspapers, television stations etc. Your voice is heard (even if it’s a few sentences) but you must step up just as we have stepped up. Will you help us in protecting Native culture? This is our wish for this Christmas season.

Elouise Brown, President of the Doodá Desert Rock, Burnham NM

DINEÕ GRANDMAS ARE BEING ARRESTED! 21 Navajo Police Paddy Wagons and Police Vehicles Just Arrived at the Blockade! [Thursday, December 21, 2006, 12 Noon Mountain State Time] We have just received reports from ground zero of the Blockade site that the Navajo Police are making arrests! Grandmothers are being arrested. The men were not at the camp and were collecting firewood. We are asking that supporters far and wide immediately contact the tribal headquarters of Joe Shirley, who is the Navajo Nation President, telling him that if elders and supporters have been arrested, to please release them. The President of Navajo Nation must demonstrate compassion for the grandmother elders of his tribe. Ask President Shirley to issue an order to the Navajo Police Department to hold back on making any further arrests, and to release the grandmothers and any other persons arrested.

Navajo Nation President Joe Shirley's Office P.O. Box 9000 Window Rock, Arizona, 86515 Phone: (928) 871- 6352

also George Hardeen, Navajo Nation Communications Director Office of the President Office #: 928-871-7000 Cell #: 928-380-7688 e-mail: georgehardeen at opvp.org

Shiprock Police Department phone: (505) 368-1350, fax: (505) 368-1293

Yesterday morning (Wednesday), it was reported that the Navajo Tribal Court issued a temporary restraining order. As a result, it is unclear whether or not the Dood‡ Desert Rock Committee members were served the actual restraining order until now. The Navajo Nation Tribal Court took this action on behalf of the DinZˇ Power Authority and Sithe Global who sought immediate injunctive relief. DPA and Sithe Global cited concerns of [so-called] unlawful entry of Burnham Navajo citizens and their interference with the process of the proposed Desert Rock power plant. It was reported that Alice Gilmore, a Navajo tribal member, and grazing permit holder for the site, also received a restraining order against her despite her continual outcry against the project. Gilmore has never relinquished her permit and has no plans to stop opposing the project. Other resisters are supporting her stance, and despite being served, there is no future of resisters backing down. ÒRestraining orders are not stopping usÓ states Lucy Willie, Vice President of the Dood‡ Desert Rock Committee, ÒweÕre here to stay.Ó FOR MORE INFO CHEQUE OUT THE BLOG: www.desert-rock-blog.com