[lbo-talk] Re: Fidel

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 27 12:36:16 PST 2006

--- Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I don't think this is quite right.

Thank you. The following was the exchange that was trying to resurface through my 15-year-old memory of reading it. Clearly I wasn't remembering it collectly:

GINSBERG: Homosexuality, as seen here, is only one attempt to control other people. Other ways of doing it besides direct sexual manipulation; another is by brainwashing, equating a brainwasher who tries to sadistically trying to — who is sadistically trying to dominate another person — with a homosexual who tries to dominate another person.

THE COURT: Let me ask again: Do you think that he is seriously suggesting that some time future that a political party will be concerned with sex?

GINSBERG: I think so, yes, yes.

DEGRAZIA: Did 1984 —

THE COURT: Excuse me. When I say, "Concerned with sex," I don't mean in an attempt to reform perversion. I am not talking about any crusade to make the world a better world in which to live, as you and I understand it today; but I am suggesting that from your answer, what he is trying to portray here, is that in the future there will be a political party, for instance, made up of homosexuals?

GINSBERG: Well, I think, saying that, this has already happened in a sense — or of sex perverts — and we can point to Hitler, Germany under Hitler, that was a political party that was sexually not right.

THE COURT: There may be homosexuals in every political party, but I don't think they are predominant.

DEGRAZIA: I don't think Mr. Ginsberg is trying to testify to the truth as to whether or not Hitler was perverse or whether or not Fascism or Hitler's political party was homosexual or anything of this kind; but I think that what we are trying, what Mr. Ginsberg is trying to point out is that as the author deals with these questions and some of these categories of people and of parties that he is involved in; and he is dealing with issues of political importance and issues which have a bearing and a relationship to things like even present political parties or political parties of the recent past.