[lbo-talk] Foucault on AIDS, was Fidel

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 28 11:18:12 PST 2006

James Heartfield quoted:

>'He didn't believe it. He thought that Americans were basically puritanical
>and anti-sexual; and that it was all coming out in this sudden hysteria
>about this mysterious disease.' (345)

A lot of people were saying this in the early days. It seems a normal reaction to the kind of hysteria that had people calling for quarantines. Foucault died only a couple years after initial reports of the disease were becoming public and I've read that his doctors were still saying "if it's aids" when he died.