[lbo-talk] Fidel

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Dec 28 14:52:08 PST 2006

On Dec 28, 2006, at 5:37 PM, joanna wrote:

> Well, OK, not instant. But pretty quick. I had two neighbors that
> were diagnosed in the late eighties; they died within six months of
> the diagnosis. That looked quick to me.
>
> I never voted for quarantine, but I am taken aback by the reaction
> on this list that the only motive for quarantine would be gay
> bashing/oppression.

I don't know if that's the only motive, but it does seem to be an active influence. Quarantining people with AIDS would mean jailing lots of people who'd done absolutely nothing wrong but get sick. Most people with AIDS or HIV don't run around infecting other people. It would be enormously expensive - there are over a million Americans who are HIV+. The threat of quarantine would mean that no one would get tested or seek treatment, which would only make things worse. It's not like you ca catch AIDS from a sneeze, either.

Doug