[lbo-talk] AIDS, was Foucault, was Fidel

bitch bitch at pulpculture.org
Thu Dec 28 19:54:35 PST 2006

At 10:17 PM 12/28/2006, Carrol Cox wrote:

>bitch wrote:
> >
> > you can't really separate the two -- quarantine and the force of law
> > (state). one of the guys I TAd for had been quanratined over TB as a kid.
>
>Explain. My father was in and out of TB sans from 1934 to 1955, and TB
>sans were for TB patients only -- but I don't see how "quarantine"
>enters.
> > He hardly found the treatment humane, particularly since, like polio, these
>
>Well, I had polio in 1946 = again, separate hospital wards & no
>visitors.
>
>Also in the 1930s I remember seeing red house signs, Quarantine -- for
>Scarlet Fever. It only meant no one entered or left except special
>personel.
>

> > quarantines and public health scares always came along with a healthy dose
> > of racializing bigotry that provided free cover to the hatred of the poor.
>
>Probably. The TB San my father was in was, I think, all white. I believe
>some of my grandfather's farm workers had TB but were not being treated
>for it. I've never heard, in fact, of quarantine for TB, but have heard
>of lack of treatment and _lack_ of isolation. So I'd like to hear more.
>
>Carrol

the links explain. quarantines are necessarily enforced, in the final analysis by the state. simple as that. it is not a claim, as jim's is, merely that there are plenty of examples of quarantines in history and the entity which generally issues the quarantine and enforces it is the state. Dept. of Health emerged in order to quarantine for instance.

racializing doesn't refer to race. it's a word that attempts to move beyond the limits of race when it's conceived as a "product" or "thing" -- static and unchanging. a recogniztion that race is a process, not a thing, and that there are certain ways in which people become "raced" by marking bodies and, conversely, the normalized become "erased". but there is no necessary need for racialization to have to apply to skin color or eye shape or hair or anything like that per se. working class rural whites were racialized in the progressive era, e.g., they were racialized on the basis of their buck teeth, poor teeth, skul l shape, bow legs, facial bone structure.

today, racialization survives in the form of similar bigotry against poor bodies, against disabled bodies. it isn't institutionalized per se and simply floats around, a common undercurrent in popular discourse. you need only read some of the more treacherous discussions of Chavs in the UK to see it, where the discussions come right alongside calls for concentration camps.

old discussion on this list from 1999.

i'm exhausted so have no interest in dealing with assholery (not that you are Carrol) so i will ignore people who are engaged in assholery on this topic. i've been down that road with some of you here before and you can bite me. i have a lot more important things to do with my time. like paint my nails hot pink with sparkles.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org