[lbo-talk] Lerner re-takes Tikkun, plans less, though more loving, coverage of Israel

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 20:32:53 PST 2006

> <http://www.forward.com/articles/founder-retakes-reins-of-liberal-mag-
> plans-less-i/>
>
> Founder Retakes Reins of Liberal Mag, Plans Less Israel Coverage
>
> Gabriel Sanders Fri. Dec 29, 2006
<snip>
> Schalit, who has worked at Tikkun for two-and-a-half years and is
> currently its only full-time staffer, is the child of Israeli parents
> and has, among other duties, overseen the publication's Israel
> coverage. His top priority after he leaves the magazine, which he
> said he will not do until a successor has been installed, is to
> finish a long-term book project on Israel and the Diaspora left.

I very much look forward to Joel Schalit's book!

> Once billed as a "Jewish
> critique of politics, culture and society," the Tikkun Web site now
> carries the heading "A Jewish Magazine, an Interfaith Movement."
>
> But can a magazine be both "Jewish" and "Interfaith"? Some of
> Tikkun's followers think not. Even outgoing editor Schalit intimated
> that Lerner is trying to strike an impossible balance. "He wants to
> be a little bit country, a little bit rock 'n' roll," he said. Some
> connected with Tikkun lament its changing focus. One contributor to
> the magazine, who asked to remain anonymous, suggested that Lerner, a
> famously prickly personality, has been forced into his new interfaith
> approach by necessity after having burned too many bridges in the
> Jewish world.

Ha, ha, ha. Very funny.

While I've spoken in favor of secular US leftists re-learning the ABC of organizing from the religious and taking organized religions as socio-political phenomena seriously, there are two communities in America where religion doesn't matter very much (or at least matters much less than in any other community here): East Asian and Jewish communities.

If I were young and Jewish, I'd like a Jewish magazine that looks into all aspects of Jewish history and contemporary Jewish cultures and finds inspirations for new, cool, post-Zionist ways of being Jewish. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>