[lbo-talk] New Year's non-surprise

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 29 08:21:22 PST 2006

Why We Need More Troops in Iraq

By Joseph Lieberman Friday, December 29, 2006

I've just spent 10 days traveling in the Middle East and speaking to leaders there, all of which has made one thing clearer to me than ever: While we are naturally focused on Iraq, a larger war is emerging. On one side are extremists and terrorists led and sponsored by Iran, on the other moderates and democrats supported by the United States. Iraq is the most deadly battlefield on which that conflict is being fought. How we end the struggle there will affect not only the region but the worldwide war against the extremists who attacked us on Sept. 11, 2001.

Because of the bravery of many Iraqi and coalition military personnel and the recent coming together of moderate political forces in Baghdad, the war is winnable. We and our Iraqi allies must do what is necessary to win it. ...

To turn around the crisis we need to send more American troops ....

Rather than engaging in hand-wringing, carping or calls for withdrawal, we must summon the vision, will and courage to take the difficult and decisive steps needed for success and, yes, victory in Iraq. ...

(The writer is an Independent Democratic senator from Connecticut.)

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/28/AR2006122801055_pf.html>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Get live scores and news about your team: Add the Live.com Football Page www.live.com/?addtemplate=football&icid=T001MSN30A0701