[lbo-talk] Most blood on Saddam's hands?

Philion, Stephen E. sephilion at stcloudstate.edu
Fri Dec 29 16:37:30 PST 2006

To the editors of the Washington Post:

Dear Editor:

In your editorial affirming and celebrating Saddam Hussein's death sentence, you state with amazing hyperbole that perhaps the only person alive today with more blood on his hands is Kim Jong-Il. It is not politically correct to say so, but probably, if we take human rights organizations' reports seriously, the blood spilled by the latter is far far less than that spilled by the US aided Saddam during the 1980's.

But, in any event, I can think of at least one other dictator who is both alive and probably spilled even more blood than Saddam, the long-time US ally former President Suharto of Indonesia.

The confidence with which your editorial is written reminds me of the same ill-advised confidence that informed your editorials on "WMDs" in the runup to the US invasion of Iraq now almost 4 long and bloody years ago.

Stephen Philion Assistant Professor Department of Sociology and Anthropology St. Cloud State University St. Cloud, MN

http://stephenphilion.efoliomn2.com/index.asp -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20061229/8b9fb303/attachment.htm>