[lbo-talk] Re: Fidel

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 29 23:21:52 PST 2006

On 12/29/06, Chuck <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:
> It would be unusual if a fawning discussion of Castro on
> this list went uncriticized by any of the anarchists or
> anti-authoritarians here.

Then you can understand that if someone's complaining that a comment represents "the sort of thing that gives anarchism a bad name among progressives," someone will attempt to clarify it if it was misleading. And expand on the inherent repression in maintaining a nation-state, which isn't that much of a mental stretch given that most of us can see that corporations are psychopaths. (As expert Robert Hare points out.)

Of course, someone could also say that Edward Bernays gave progressives a bad name among decent people. So progressives should offer much leeway to anarchism -- especially since it's such an interesting part of their intellectual heritage.

Columbia prof Charles Tilly expanded on the banality of state repression: "It protection rackets represent organised crime at its smoothest, then war risking and state making – quintessential protection rackets with the advantage of legitimacy – qualify as our largest examples of organised crime." <https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rohloff/www/war%20making%20and%20state%20making.pdf>

Tayssir

-- "Anarchism and the Academy" podcasts: <http://mbanna.radio4all.net/pub/archive5/mp3_4/200108-renew-acad-p.mp3> <http://mbanna.radio4all.net/pub/archive5/mp3_4/200108-renew-acad-q.mp3>