[lbo-talk] "Did 10 000 really die"

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Dec 30 11:18:27 PST 2006

The other Ian Williams writes:

>I shudder too think of what the large manuscript his group is
>preparing on Srebrenica will be like. "Did ten thousand really die"

No, nobody says that 10 000 died. The largest number is 8 300, a list made up by the Bosnian Federal Commission for Missing Persons. In the end 5000 bodies have been found, and 2032 identified.

Exaggerating the numbers killed in the Bosnian civil war is commonplace. Throughout the conflict total dead were regularly reported as 250 000, only afterwards was the official figure revised downwards to 102,000.

No doubt the other Ian Williams would consider it to be 'holocaust revisionism' to ask the question 'Did 250 000 really die?' but sometimes the truth is not the same as the army press releases.