[lbo-talk] Re: Fidel

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Sat Dec 30 15:14:53 PST 2006

andie nachgeborenen wrote:
> At least one thread in this discussion has been to
> slam Castro's homophobic repression. Brian D and I
> were in that. Jerry's opposition was certainly not
> from a Yay Cyba pov, as much as, don't you have
> somthing closer at home betterf to yap about? Do you
> call that fawning just because we said he did good
> things too and was probably preferable (as are his
> chosen successors) to his likely US-selected
> replacements, given that you yourself admit that the
> anarchist utopia is not in Cuba's immediate future?

Is anybody still interested in this thread?

The fact that Brian had to deal with so much flack on just the issue of persecution of gay Cubans illustrates my point that the American left worships Fidel Castro. I call this the dirty little secret of the American left, because American leftists are very careful not to let on that they are (mostly) closet fans of Castro. Why are some people so insistent on defending an indefensible regime?

The sub-thread on gay Cubans is the closest that this list got to a nuanced discussion of the Castro regime. Otherwise, it's the same old attacks on those of us who have the temerity to voice an opinion at odds with the same ole leftist orthodoxy.

Chuck