[lbo-talk] Re: Fidel

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 31 01:27:48 PST 2006

On 12/31/06, Chuck <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:
> Is anybody still interested in this thread?

I'm sorry, but if you're going to be a highly misleading representative of anarchist thought, then someone's gotta step up and (respectfully) correct the misconceptions. I wasn't online last week, and no one stepped up yet. I think people come here to be informed, and you misinform us.

It's like hearing someone justifying all their opinions with, "'Cause I'm an anarchist, baby!" Anarchism is sufficiently formless that you can make up almost any justification for your opinions. Much like "the left" that way.

(Whenever I hear a sensible anarchist define anarchism, they usually preface it with something like, "My view is..." or "No one owns the term 'anarchism.' But common to most anarchists is...")

> The fact that Brian had to deal with so much flack on just the issue of
> persecution of gay Cubans illustrates my point that the American left
> worships Fidel Castro. I call this the dirty little secret of the
> American left, because American leftists are very careful not to let on
> that they are (mostly) closet fans of Castro. Why are some people so
> insistent on defending an indefensible regime?

My understanding is that he's an unusually benevolent dictator, in a country which faces massive threats from the most militant nation on earth. (Does the media even ask how we put one of the world's most notorious prisons on Cuban soil, Guantanamo?)

I think any evaluation of Castro's regime should take into account this benevolence, as well as his almost inevitable repressiveness. Just as when a rightwinger asks, "Why don't the mideasterners understand democracy?" they should really ask why the US overthrows mideast democracies and supports brutal client regimes.

Tayssir