[lbo-talk] Re: Brian On "Brokeback Mountain" & "The Reception"

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 1 09:50:13 PST 2006

> FILM
> Rural Space: Queer America's Final Frontier

> For example, much of this new work will probably
> lack the triumphal
> feeling that many readers have come to expect from
> scholarship that
> deals with the social and political struggles of
> lesbians and gay men

I have quite shocked by some of the criticisms I have read of this film on this thread. I wonder if the above mentioned lack of "triumphalism" isn't at the heart of those criticisms. Perhaps that, too, is a reason that the documentary "Farm Family" http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117924185?categoryid=31&cs=1 has not received much acclaim.

-Thomas