[lbo-talk] Re: Brian On "Brokeback Mountain" & "The Reception"

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 1 11:50:13 PST 2006

Dear List:

Thomas writes:

> I have quite shocked by some of the criticisms
I have read of this film on this thread.

So was Captain Renault when he discovered that people were gambling at Rick's Cafe Americain.

> I wonder if the above mentioned lack of
"triumphalism" isn't at the heart of those criticisms.

What is at the heart of those criticisms is Lee's playing to the homophobia of his audience.

> Perhaps that, too, is a reason that the documentary
"Farm Family" has not received much acclaim.

It has received a lot of notice in the queer press, but since it was a) made on dv and b) made by a gay man, it was ignored by the mainstream press and audience.

BM (like Will & Grace and Queer Eye on television) is a movie about gays made to reassure straights.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister