[lbo-talk] Kenya offended at N. Zealander's dog food aid offer

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 1 12:03:10 PST 2006

- of course the indignant 'don't let them eat dogfood' government spokesman in all likelihood drives a loaded S-Class Mercedes Benz.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=2&ObjectID=10366163

Report slams Kenyan spending on luxury cars

31.01.06 1.00pm

NAIROBI - Kenya's government, already criticised over allegations of high-level corruption, faced another blow to its credibility on Monday after a report accused it of blowing state funds on expensive cars for its ministers.

The report by two watchdogs said President Mwai Kibaki's government spent 878 million shillings ($18.12 million) on new vehicles -- enough to see 25,000 children through eight years of school -- since sweeping to power in 2002 on promises to tackle poverty and fight graft.

The local branch of Transparency International and the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR) said nearly half the amount was used to buy 57 Mercedes Benz cars between January 2003 and September 2004.

The rest the government splurged on a fleet of fuel-guzzling four-wheel drives, the report said.

"Conspicuous consumption makes a mockery of poverty alleviation efforts, besides creating resentment in society," the report said.

"Additionally, the line between wasteful expenditure and grand corruption is very thin and because of this senior government officials continue to be perceived as corrupt."

The government issued a statement pledging to "fast track all cases of perceived corruption". It also said that recent allegations of graft had become "exceedingly outrageous".

The report criticised the government for extravagance at a time when most of its 32 million people cannot afford a decent meal. Three years of poor rains have pushed four million Kenyans to the edge of starvation, forcing Kibaki to declare the drought a national disaster and appeal for US$150 million in aid.

"The part that's annoying is that they've come in on a platform of change, but they have shown the same extravagance, the same disrespect of the people as the previous regime," Maina Kiai, KNCHR chairman, told Reuters.

The report was particularly scathing of the Ministry of Justice which it said had spent 82 million shillings on 13 Mercedes Benz for the High Court.