[lbo-talk] Brokeback Mountain: The Gayer You Are, the Quicker You Die

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Feb 1 19:41:53 PST 2006

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Christian Gregory wrote:
>
> I found the wives distinctly unappertizing. If given a choice
> between Jake Gyllenhaal and Michelle Williams (or choice between
> Heath Ledger and Anne Hathaway), even straight men and lesbians would
> prefer the former to the latter. What's the message here? :->

The wives were fine and certainly didn't misrepresent themselves. The poor wife was pretty sweet to begin with, enterprising, and in the end, angry -- as would anyone who had to live with a lie for that long. The rich wife wanted a boy toy and she got one. He wanted an easy life...and he got it. Easy in some ways.

The movie had two false moments for me: 1. when Jake yells at his father in law to prove he's not a wimp and 2. When Enis punches the asshole to prove he respects women. Completely unnecessary.

Joanna