[lbo-talk] socialized medicine

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 02:24:26 PST 2006

The US Army, Vet's admin or not, is also a type of socialized medicine. All new recruits have a comprehensive exam, and if you have probs, they get you on meds, give you glasses, etc., whatever you need, immediately, from the get-go. Of course, this means if you have too many existing med. problems they won't let you into the army at all. My cousin has Crohn's Disease and couldn't join -- too much liability.

On the other hand, the singer of the punk band I posted about, Jack Control of Austin, Texas, who was almost stabbed to death last weekend -- his medical bills are already at $80,000+. Just for the privilege of getting stabbed. There were some posts on int'l music forums to help raise money for him (he has no insurance), and while in forum responses Americans were generally "Oh that's awful," Canadian and British punk fans were like, "I'm glad I live in Canada/England, where I wouldn't be charged for nearly six figures for getting stabbed."

-B.

---

Yoshie wrote:

Paul Krugman says that the best kept secret in the US policy debate is that the Veterans Health Administration -- government-run health care -- works much better than private health care: