[lbo-talk] Media Concentration database--where's it at?

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 08:12:23 PST 2006

it's not the ownership that matters as much as the goals of the newspapers and other media outlets (i.e., profit-seeking, i.e., ad-selling). Deviations from that goal can go right-wing (such as Col. McCormick's old Chicago TRIBUNE) or left-wing (I can't think of any) ... except that it's usually millionaires who run newspapers as hobbies. It's not like the old New York P.M. Freedom of the press is for those who own one.

The corporatization of media mostly means the homogenization, whereas a lot of homogenization was already there, driven by profit-seeking.