[lbo-talk] Re: Oscars and Queers Who Die

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu Feb 2 08:16:29 PST 2006

Dear List:

Jim asks:

> isn't it common for straight white males to die in Hollywood dramas,
too? death seems a major theme of serious dramas. Maybe gays and minorities die disproportionately _more_, but it'd be interesting to see how much more.

The question is what are the circumstances and implications of the deaths: are they seen as inevitable outcomes of or directly linked to the sexual orientation of the characters? We cannot simply count the deaths, but must also analyze what the mise-en-scene tells us.

Also, I realize that some list members disagree with my interpretation of the film. Okay, fine. But Joanna is the only one who has bothered to analyze the film's mise-en-scene and propose an alternative reading (I will respond to her reading in my next post).

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister