[lbo-talk] sexism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 2 10:11:51 PST 2006

<http://susiebright.blogs.com/susie_brights_journal_/2006/02/narcotics_anony.html>

[Q] The butch in your story, "Karla," is the steadfast good soldier; the femme is a dangerous minx. What is it about the masculine character who's a mensch, yet who is lied to every step of the way?

[A] A few months ago I started performing as a drag king after being high femme for several years. And all of the sudden I was getting these femmes who wanted me to carry their bags, or do their dirty work. I was, like, "Don't try and pull that shit with me, I used to be a femme!"

Femmes sometimes manipulate butches through sex appeal, and the same pattern exists in hetero relationships as well. The femme in my story exploits class differences to take advantage of Karla.