[lbo-talk] Link to Muhammed cartoons

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 2 11:58:18 PST 2006

www.leninology. blogspot.com wrote:

>On a separate note, I hate to be an old Leninist authoritarian, but
>isn't "freedom of speech" an interesting phrase? It's a logocentric
>fallacy, since what we're talking about is an entirely different
>mode of expression. It sort of occludes the fact that we're talking
>about a kind of action which has ramifications beyond who hears
>what. At any rate, no freedom is absolute and actions which harm
>others are generally prohibited. Political expression is conative,
>has to be, and racist expression ought to be banned as it is likely
>to cause injury to those targeted, in my view.

Yeah, you are an old Leninist authoritarian. Why shouldn't people be allowed to make fun of other people's beliefs? Who's going to decide what's injurious? The Danish state? A Leninist state? There's a big difference between saying "let's go shoot some Muslims!" to an angry crowd and publishing cartoons like these.

Doug